The following is what is within the above application/document.
TIVA CTE Best of Texas
To recognize senior career and technical education students (CTE) who are doing an outstanding job worthy of recognition. It is essential to provide a tangible incentive for people to excel and for others to strive to reach the point of recognition.
Rules and Regulations:
- Complete the Official Nomination Form for the appropriate category. Application must be typed.
- Student award nominees may only be nominated by their CTE program instructor unless otherwise noted.
A nominator may nominate more than one student in their respective program area.
- The nominator must be an active member of TIVA
- Students nominated must be an active member of SkillsUSA
*If all items are not completed according to the Rules and Regulations the student’s application will not be considered.
TIVA Best of Texas Awards:
- Outstanding Student by Program Area
An outstanding student in a CTE program
- Outstanding Uniquely Challenged
An outstanding CTE student with a physical or mental disability
- Outstanding Special Achievement
An outstanding CTE student who has overcome major obstacles due to personal circumstances
One student from each of the above categories will be recognized and awarded scholarship money.
Student Awards Application Procedures-student award applications must contain the following:
- A one-page resume, by the student, that describes involvement in their CTE youth organization, other school and community activities, employment (if applicable) and educational goals.
- An official transcript with current GPA (Use 4.0 scale).
- Student statement (not to exceed 200 words) that describes the benefits career and technical education has provided.
- Educator/Nominator’s statement (not to exceed 250 words) describing the traits that distinguish this individual from others in terms of ability, motivation, achievement, performance and contribution.
- 3 ½ x 2 ½ high-quality photo (no photocopies please) placed in a sealed envelope. Photo will be used in the press releases.
- Two Letters of Support
- Parent/Guardian signed photo release form
In addition to the above information for student awards, the Uniquely Challenged application must include:
- A description of nominee’s disability. This can be written by the nominee or the nominator.
In addition to the above information for student awards, the Special Achievement application must include:
- Descriptions of obstacles overcome by nominee. This can be written by the nominee or the nominator.
There will be one student chosen in each student category. All nominees will receive a letter to let them know if they were chosen or if they were not selected.
Submit completed materials by March 1, 2017 to:
Texas Industrial Vocational Association prohibits discrimination against any student or adult who is nominated for the TIVA Best of Texas Awards on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation or disability.
(Cut along dotted line and enclose with application)
RELEASE FOR MINORS (PARENT/GUARDIAN PERMISSION)
I, being Parent/Guardian of: _____________________________ _______________ (name of child):
hereby consent that his/her name, image, and likeness, whether in photograph or electronic images, may be used by Texas Industrial Vocational Association, its assignees or successors, for purposes of promotion and print publications, free and clear of any claim whatsoever on my part.
SIGNATURE OF PARENT/GUARDIAN DATE
Many parents enjoy seeing their child’s picture in newspapers, on television and in other publications. However, some parents do not want their children identified for various reasons. In an effort to honor your wishes, we would like you to communicate your preference to us.
Best of Texas Awards Program
Outstanding Student Award Nomination Form
Award Type (check one)
- Outstanding Student- $1000.00
- Uniquely Challenged Student- $500.00
- Special Achievement Student- $500.00
Nomination application must include the following:
- Typed Nomination Form
- Official Transcript
- Two Support Letters
- Student Statement
- Educator Statement
- One-Page Resume
- One high quality photograph -3 ½ x 2 ½ (no photocopies please)
- Signed photo release form
Name: ___________________________________High School: _______________________________
Home Address: _____________________________City/Zip___________________________________
(H) Phone :(______)__________________________(S) Phone :(______) ________________________
Nominee’s SkillsUSA Chapter number: ____________________________________
Nominee’s Principal: ___________________________________________________________________
City/Zip: _______________________ Principal’s E-Mail:______________________________________
Nominee’s Superintendent: ____________________________School District: _____________________
City/Zip: __________________Superintendent’s E-mail:________________________________________
Nominee’s CTE Director: _______________________________________________________________
City/Zip___________________________CTE Director’s E-Mail:_________________________________
Nominee’s Local Newspaper: ____________________________________________________________
Student’s Signature: __________________________________________________________________
(must be typed)
Nominator must be a member of TIVA
Nominator’s Name: _____________________________________________________________
High School: _________________________________________________________________
School Address: _______________________________________________________________
School Phone: __________________________________________________________________
Nominator’s e-mail: ______________________________________________________________
Nominator’s Signature: __________________________________________________________