2015-2016 Iota Lambda Sigma Writing Contest
Sigma Chapter of the national Iota Lambda Sigma society sponsors an essay contest to encourage academic achievement. Students entering this contest are required to use their academic writing skills as they compete.
Entrants must be enrolled in at least one secondary career and technical education course and be a current active member of Texas SkillsUSA.
The essays will be evaluated on the following criteria:
Relationship to topic
Clarity of message
2. Technical Quality
Cover sheet information
Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation
The essays will be judged by the awards committee appointed by Sigma Chapter. The essays will be judged on a point system based on the criteria above. Judges will have final say and entrants may not challenge or appeal.
The following is the topic that was chosen the 2015-2016 year:
“Connecting You to Career Success”
Each entrant shall submit the following:
1. Essays are limited to 500 words in length.
2. Entrants may only submit one essay.
3. Essays must be typewritten on 8 ½ x 11 sheets.
4. It is preferred you submit essays via e-mail as Microsoft Word. The e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I will confirm receipt of you essay.
5. Entrants must include a cover sheet, which clearly states contestant’s name, school name, full school address, school phone number, email, teacher’s name, Texas SkillsUSA Chapter number and the topic for the current year contest. The coversheet should be in a professional type format without special embellishments.
6. Entrants may not include their name anywhere on the essay itself.
7. Essays must be emailed to Iota Lambda Sigma to the address above.
9. All entries become the property of ILS and will not be returned.
10. ILS will notify the top five contestants and the winner will be announced during the opening ceremonies at the Texas SkillsUSA state contest.
1. ILS reserves the right to publish, reproduce, copy and display winning essays.
2. ILS will notify the top five contestants by telephone, regular mail, or email according to the information provided on their cover sheet.
3. The winning essays will be published in the ILS newsletter and forwarded to Texas SkillsUSA and TIVA for possible additional publications.
Essays must be received by ILS no later than March 4. Essays submitted after March 4 will not be considered for state competition.
Essays must be sent via email in electronic format for possible future publication. The email address is email@example.com